I love the Fashion Weeks of New York, London, Paris and Milan because it gives me an opportunity to criticize. This year’s theme seemed to be the present confronting the past and transforming it into the future. But because the Nau Nazca ($265) didn’t get featured, all I saw were suck-ugly clothes with bloated price tags.
A tragedy and a missed opportunity indeed because the Nau Nazca really does epitomize the past with present and future sensibilities.
Made from 100% superfine Alpaca wool, the Nau Nazca is silky, sumptuous and warm. I have developed a sort of routine before I put it on: I cradle it in my arms and stroke its softness, whispering the same gentle gurglings I use with my cat.
What I loved
- Soft and silky texture. Alpaca wool is harvested from an alpaca. It’s a silky and luxurious natural fiber. An alpaca is a long-haired bovid that lives high in the Andes where winters are cold and harsh and summers bring blazing sun rays. Their wool has evolved to ensure they’re comfortable all year in all conditions.
- Weighty and durable. The Nazca sweater has heft. It is a substantial sweater that keeps you warm. Alpaca fibers are also strong. They have to be, considering the animal lives and thrives high in the Andes. If you take care of this sweater (gently hand wash with Woolite and lay flat to dry), it will take care of you for many years to come.
- Looks and style. Its unique lines and cut make it a beautiful piece to wear on cold days for civilized activities like work, coffee shops, shopping, etc. Though I probably wouldn’t wear this sweater camping or hiking. I would be heartbroken if it got snagged or its silky fibers infiltrated with campfire smoke.
- Fit. True to size. I wear a size small and the size small Nazca is the right size. It also easily accommodates a baselayer. However, because the Nazca has a wider cut around the shoulders, your baselayer should also have a wider cut so it doesn’t look like you’re trying to pull off a turtleneck. This is just my own fashion opinion, though. Feel free to wear anything you want underneath.
- Warm and snuggly. I’m not dissing sheep wool, mind you, but alpaca wool is warmer, non-prickly, and has no lanolin, which makes it hypoallergenic. This is a wool sweater that I wear without a layer underneath. Alpaca fibers contain microscopic air pockets that provide outstanding insulation in cold weather while still allowing for plenty of breathability in warmer conditions.
What I didn’t love
I love this sweater. I love the look, the feel, the softness, silkiness and warmth of Alpaca wool. I even like alpacas! I think the $265 price tag is steep for a sweater that is strictly for urban use but it’s also a high-quality sweater that is well-made. And because it has such a classic design, it will never go out of style. So your $265 investment will last for years.
NAUSimply add versatility to your wardrobe and you will be ready from day to night in this modern dress! ; Breathable, stretch fabrication is ideal for easy travel with all-day comfort. ; Relaxed silhouette in a pullover design that drapes the body and features an empire waistline. ; Modified bateau neck. ; Long sleeve coverage. ; Slash hand pockets. ; Straight hemline hits above knee. ; 48% organic cotton, 48% tencel, 4% spandex. ; Machine wash, tumble dry. ; Imported. Measurements: ; Length: 37 in ; Product measurements were taken using size XS. Please note that measurements may vary by size.$42.99
NAUIf you have the Nau Randygoat Women's Dress, it doesn't have to be the end of dress season just because the leaves are changing. Made of super-soft and moisture-managing merino wool and lined with recycled polyester fleece, the Randygoat's perfect for extending dress season into the chilly months, with a cozy hood and crossover snap neck that adds a little warmth and plenty of style. Thumbholes and drop-in front pockets help keep your hands warm on urban explorations and apple-picking missions.$104.47
NAUA unique take on a classic, the NAU Women's Synner Down Cape brings you versatility and warmth, and is sure to spark some conversation wherever you take it this winter. Made from a tough, down-proof, recycled polyester ripstop fabric, and with a water-resistant DWR-coating, this cape is built to handle whatever the big city streets might send your way. Odor-resistant and quick-drying, Cocona insulation stays fresh as it wraps you up in its toasty embrace during long days spent in the cold. The high collar helps block out blustery winds, and the knit cuffs deliver a soft, comfortable fit and feel. The relaxed cut and longer coverage at the back enhance your protection when the weather is worse than usual.$217.46