Next up in the first annual Gear Gals National Cycling Accessories Month celebration are the Pearl Izumi Sugar shorts ($60). If you like short shorts, these are your short shorts.
What I like
- While I’d never wear these as stand-alone shorts (the 5-inch inseam is too short for my tastes), these work amazingly well under over pants, rain pants, mountain bike shorts and with my circa 2015 Pearl Izumi Superstar detachable skirt.
- Rubber leg grippers! Thank you Pearl Izumi for adding these. Thank you.
- Like the Pearl Izumi SELECT Escape Texture short, the chamois is great for shorter rides (an hour or less). My training for a 100-mile race this summer requires a chamois with a lot more padding. Still a nice chamois for shorter rides and bike commuting.
- Comfortable waistband.
What I don’t like
- Inseam length. It five inches on my size small (but 5.5 inches on the medium). There is a very specific woman cyclist out there that will great in these and she’s about eighteen years old, 6’ 0”, weights 110 lbs and comes from Iceland or Sweden.
- Back could come up a little higher.
- For the price of $60 you get a pair of bike shorts with a nice chamois and silicon leg grippers that you can wear under a pair of mountain bike shorts, rain pants or over-pants.
- If you’re eighteen years old, 6’ 0” , weight 110 lbs and come from Iceland or Sweden, you will have a phenomenal pair of shorts you can wear under something else or on their own!
Pearl IzumiIt's just a tiny bit too cold out for shorts, but a touch too warm to wear your full-length cycling tights. What now? The Pearl Izumi Women's Sugar 3/4 Cycling Tights to the rescue. Balancing warmth and breathability, the tights are great for those in-between days, and they'll quickly become your go-to bottoms for chillier fall and early spring days. The Sugar tights fall into the Pearl Select family of cycling apparel, utilizing Select Dry Transfer fabric that keeps in just enough warmth while still being light enough to stay cool in case the sun comes out. The six-panel cut of the tights is anatomically dialed in for a cyclist's range of motion, and for comfort, Pearl Izumi's Women's Tour 3D Chamois is built in, supporting your sit bones while relieving pressure on sensitive tissue. The wide waistband complements the flattering fit, and reflective elements throughout provide visibility to motorists in low-light riding conditions. The Pearl Izumi Women's Sugar 3/4 Cycling Tights come in six sizes, from X-Small to XX-Large, and in three colors: Black/white, Black/dark purple, and Black texture.$74.95