I love the Fashion Weeks of New York, London, Paris and Milan because it gives me an opportunity to criticize. This year’s theme seemed to be the present confronting the past and transforming it into the future. But because the Nau Nazca ($265) didn’t get featured, all I saw were suck-ugly clothes with bloated price tags.
A tragedy and a missed opportunity indeed because the Nau Nazca really does epitomize the past with present and future sensibilities.
Made from 100% superfine Alpaca wool, the Nau Nazca is silky, sumptuous and warm. I have developed a sort of routine before I put it on: I cradle it in my arms and stroke its softness, whispering the same gentle gurglings I use with my cat.
What I loved
- Soft and silky texture. Alpaca wool is harvested from an alpaca. It’s a silky and luxurious natural fiber. An alpaca is a long-haired bovid that lives high in the Andes where winters are cold and harsh and summers bring blazing sun rays. Their wool has evolved to ensure they’re comfortable all year in all conditions.
- Weighty and durable. The Nazca sweater has heft. It is a substantial sweater that keeps you warm. Alpaca fibers are also strong. They have to be, considering the animal lives and thrives high in the Andes. If you take care of this sweater (gently hand wash with Woolite and lay flat to dry), it will take care of you for many years to come.
- Looks and style. Its unique lines and cut make it a beautiful piece to wear on cold days for civilized activities like work, coffee shops, shopping, etc. Though I probably wouldn’t wear this sweater camping or hiking. I would be heartbroken if it got snagged or its silky fibers infiltrated with campfire smoke.
- Fit. True to size. I wear a size small and the size small Nazca is the right size. It also easily accommodates a baselayer. However, because the Nazca has a wider cut around the shoulders, your baselayer should also have a wider cut so it doesn’t look like you’re trying to pull off a turtleneck. This is just my own fashion opinion, though. Feel free to wear anything you want underneath.
- Warm and snuggly. I’m not dissing sheep wool, mind you, but alpaca wool is warmer, non-prickly, and has no lanolin, which makes it hypoallergenic. This is a wool sweater that I wear without a layer underneath. Alpaca fibers contain microscopic air pockets that provide outstanding insulation in cold weather while still allowing for plenty of breathability in warmer conditions.
What I didn’t love
I love this sweater. I love the look, the feel, the softness, silkiness and warmth of Alpaca wool. I even like alpacas! I think the $265 price tag is steep for a sweater that is strictly for urban use but it’s also a high-quality sweater that is well-made. And because it has such a classic design, it will never go out of style. So your $265 investment will last for years.
NOVICAPeruvian designer Roberto Lopez evokes classic elegance in a warm shade of beige. The alpaca blend sweater features delicate openwork shaping diamonds under the v-neck.$79.99
NOVICAAlfredo Falcon creates a reversible design for a ruana cloak in rich brown adorned with abstract florid arabesques. The cloak is knitted with a rich alpaca blend and closes with coconut shell buttons. A warm scarf ensures soft, stylish warmth.$149.99
NauInspired by the British commando sweaters of WWII, the Nazca Alpaca Sweater is every man's sturdy outdoor companion brought to you by Nau. Thanks to the superfine Alpaca wool, the sweater is supremely soft against your skin. The 3-button front and durable woven overlays at the shoulder yokes and cuffs complete the athletic look of this long-sleeve pullover. High collar 3-button front Woven overlays on shoulder yokes and cuffs Regular fit Trim: woven plain weave, 65% recycled polyester, 35% organic cotton with DWR finish 100% superfine Alpaca wool.$244.95
NauA fresh take on a classic silhouette, the Nau Andiamo Alpaca V-Neck Pullover is an ideal addition to your wardrobe. The superfine Alpaca wool features sustainably sourced hypoallergenic fibers that provide an amazingly soft feel. With a sophisticated dual pattern knit and moisture-wicking properties, this quick-drying pullover keeps you stylish on the go. Full fashion seams V-neck Regular fit Hand wash cold; lay flat to dry 100% superfine Alpaca wool.$224.95
NAUNAU Men's Nazca Alpaca Sweater - Size M$245.00