About the only upside I can think of to fall and winter are snugly sweaters to keep me warm. Like the new Toad & Co Merino Merritt Hoodie ($199). It’s made of 100 percent certified non-mulesed Merino lambswool.
What I love
- Great fit and style. It seems to run true to size. I normally wear a small and the size small sample that I wore fit perfectly. I also love the length. The size small hits three inches above the knee making it an awesome length to wear with leggings, skinning jeans and boots. Personally, I love wearing it as it is but I also found that if I want to feel more of its warmth and get more of a slim silhouette going, I pair it with a pretty belt.
- Softness: It’s incredibly soft and itch-free. This is because the Merino wool is boiled down to enhance softness and remove the scratchiness that causes wool to feel itchy and rough.
- Humanely produced. This sweater is non-mulesed certified. Mulesing is a horrific practice. Right up there with declawing cats. The wool around sheep’s butt can become rancid with sheep poo and pee, which attracts flies that lays eggs and turn into maggots and start eating the sheep. During the mulesing process, strips of wool-bearing skin are removed from around the animal’s bum so that wool doesn’t grow there. But there are enough humane ways to treat this affliction that mulesing isn’t necessary. Fortunately, the Merino Merritt Hoodie has the certified non-mulesed label so the lambs are happily grazing and frolicking in the high pastures of New Zealand, completely unharmed.
- Warmth: It’s already warm and snugly, no doubt. But to maximize the warmth, I add a long-sleeved shirt or wool baselayer underneath and cinch it with a pretty stretchy belt.
What could be better
- Some buttons or other ways to hold it closed to retain optimum warmth. I wore this up to the Port of Duluth on Lake Superior in late September. The wind off the lake was howling and whipping the hoodie here and there so I had to hold it in place wrap-style.
There are times when a piece of gear comes along that isn’t necessarily ground-breaking or earth-shattering in its design but I love it anyway. That’s how I’m feeling about the Toad and Co Merino Merritt hoodie. And thankfully it’s humanely sourced.
This is a Gear Gals Piece of Recommended Gear.
# of women athletes sponsored by Toad & Co: Unknown
Toad&CoGenuine and earnest, elegant merino is boiled down for a dense but light feel, getting you back to the roots of style and function.$184.95
Toad&CoEasy like a sweatshirt, fit like a jacket and styled like a performance piece, the Joaquin Hoodie is built for go-time versatility in any environment. In other words, you never have to take it off (save for the occasional wash day) . Fast details include contoured shoulder seaming, a higher neck and modified fit for the hood, and zipper garages on the hip pockets and front placket. And the fabric is just right: soft organic cotton with 20% recycled polyester for structure and quicker dry time.$88.95
Toad&Co.You could ski in this sweater, wear it to dinner afterwards, and then play 9-ball at the pub until last call. That's the beauty of the Toad&Co Men's Rasmus Merino Wool 1/4 Zip Sweater. The sweater looks great in all environments and the merino fabric warms, wicks, dries, weathers and recovers better than any other natural material. It's plenty soft and easy-care machine washable to boot! Features: 12-gauge knit Quarter-front contrast zipper with kissing welts Contrast color at neck interior and underside of cuffs Machine wash cold, lay flat to dry Fabric: 100% merino wool$99.95
Toad & CoWe don't want to overstate, but the Heartfelt Hoodie might be our favorite sweater. Ever. Warm, elegant merino is boiled down for a dense but light feel and the handwarmer pockets, draped hood and wrap style are positively dreamy. Add to that beautiful stripes in fetching color combinations and you've got yourself an instant cool-weather, go-anywhere essential.$189.00
Toad & CoThe Toad & Co Merino Diamond Hoodie is made with 100% Boiled Merino Wool. The Merino Diamond Hoodie is designed to feel lightweight and offers a stylish pattern. 7-Gauge Jersey Knit With Jacquard Pattern Draped Hood And Wrap Styling Handwarmer Pockets 32.5"" 100% Boiled Merino Wool$199.00